In this post, you will see how to turn on search indexer respect device power mode settings in Windows 10. Starting with Windows 10, Version 2004 new feature Respect Device Power Mode Settings is added to help minimize high processor and hard drive usage as the system index the contents on your device. Indexing the contents of your PC helps you get faster results when you are searching it for files and other things.
Indexing runs in the background affecting your PC’s performance. It is the process of looking at files, email messages, and other content on your PC and cataloging their information, such as the words and metadata in them. When you search your PC after indexing, it looks at an index of terms to find results faster with Start Menu, File Explorer, and Cortana.
The indexing process can sometimes cause common performance issues that affect Windows Search and Search indexing. When the performance toggle is enabled, the service will completely back off when you are in Battery Saver and Better Battery modes. It will run with its normal back-off logic in all other performance modes, including balanced and prevent high disk usage. Windows Search gets more efficient with a new power option available on Windows 10 version 2004 or later.
Here’s how –
Turn On Respect Device Power Mode Settings
You must be signed in as an administrator to turn on or off search indexer respect device power mode settings.
- In Windows 10, Open the Start menu. Click Settings > Search.
- Click on Searching Windows. In the Indexer Performance section , turn on the Respect Device Power Mode Settings option.
- After completing the above steps, the indexer will stop searching and updating the database with new information in the background. This is more useful when you are in Battery Saver and Better Battery modes. It will run with its normal back-off logic in all other performance modes, including balanced and prevent high disk or processor usage.
- Search indexing in Windows 10 – Microsoft Docs
- How to Enable or Disable AutoPlay in Windows 10
- How to Use Windows 10 PC as a Mobile Hotspot
- Fix Windows 10 Disk Space Issues Automatically with Storage Sense
- How to Remove RDP Connection Entries from Windows Remote Desktop Connection Client | Windows 10
- How to Customize Folders Appearance in Windows 10 Start Menu
- How to Check ConfigMgr Task Sequence Size | SCCM
- FIX Error Code 0x800f0922 Windows 10 Update Failed to Install
- How to Set Default Tab for Task Manager in Windows 10