Let’s check how to add or remove network icon on Lock and Sign-in Screen in Windows 10. The available network UI available in the lock and sign-in screen allows any user to disconnect the PC from the network or can connect the PC to other available networks without signing into Windows. For providing more security to the PC, we can prevent external users to modify the network with Group Policy or Registry.
On following screen, Windows allow you to interact with available networks UI on the logon screen.
Group Policy – Add or Remove Network Icon on Lock and Sign-in Screen
- In Windows 10 device, click Start type gpedit.msc in search to run the Local Group Policy Editor.
You must be logged in to Windows as administrator.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Select Logon.
- In the right pane of Logon, Double-click on the Do not display network selection UI policy to edit it.
- In the Do not display network selection UI window, select Enabled and click Apply then OK.
If you enable this policy setting, the PC’s network connectivity state cannot be changed without signing into Windows.
- If you would like to leave the default Network icon, In the Do not display network selection UI window. Select Not Configured or Disabled, click Apply then OK.
- Close the Local Group Policy Editor. All changes have been saved and will take effect immediately.
Registry – Add or Remove Network Icon on Lock and Sign-in Screen
To add a registry key using reg command follow below steps:
- Start command prompt Run as administrator.
Important – We recommend you create a backup before editing the registry.
- To remove network icon on Lock and Sign-in screen, Type the following command and press Enter –
Note – Since adding the registry value manually may lead an issue as well it will be a time taken process for system admin. You can also copy the below command and create a batch file to automate the settings.
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /V DontDisplayNetworkSelectionUI /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F
- To add network icon on Lock and Sign-in screen, Type the following command and press Enter –
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /V DontDisplayNetworkSelectionUI /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
- Close the command prompt and restart your computer.
End User Experience
You can experience that the Network icon is no longer available in the Lock and Sign-in screen for all users. However it will not effect network connectivity.
- Group Policy Settings Used in Windows Authentication
- How to Configure Collection Size Limits for Task Sequence Deployment Settings | Configuration Manager | SCCM
- How to Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Access in Windows 10
- How to Enable God Mode in Windows 10 | Easy Access Settings
- How to Capture Screenshots in Windows 10 | Tools
- Windows 10 How to Disable Web Search From Start Menu
- How to Turn On or Off Focus Assist in Windows 10
- How to Change Windows 10 Multi-Tasking Options with Alt + Tab Shortcut Keys | Microsoft Edge Tabs
- How to Display Windows 10 Last Sign-in Information During User logon | Group Policy
- Fix Windows 10 Disk Space Issues Automatically with Storage Sense
- How to Check ConfigMgr Task Sequence Size | SCCM