In this video, you will learn how to create, deploy, and install MSIX automatically with SCCM. SCCM application deployment guide is here to help you understand end to end application deployment process. As an example, I have taken 7Zip.MSIX application deployment in this video tutorial.
In the following steps, you will be able to learn about the high-level steps about SCCM application creation, deployment, and automatic installation on Windows 10 devices.
SCCM Application Deployment Process
- Copy the SCCM application source files to Package Source Folder ( UNC path).
- Identify the target users you want to deploy the application via SCCM.
- Document the way you want to deployment application (Required or Available).
- Document the application installation method – Silent or interactive (99% of the apps are deployed using silent switch in my experience).
- Identify the command line switches which you want to use for the SCCM application Deployment.
- Or You can also use automation methods to complete SCCM ConfigMgr application deployment life cycle.
- Open the latest version of SCCM console with appropriate access (SCCM RBAC).
- Navigate to SCCM Console – Software Library – Application
- Click on Application and create a New Application
- Follow select the Application type you want to create. This selection depends on the application source you have. Depending on Application source, select any of the following application type (MSI, APPX, EXE, MSIX, AppV, etc).
- If it’s MSI and if the application MSI is developed as per the best industry practices, SCCM will automatically fetch the details from MSI and it will create the SCCM application.
- Once SCCM application is created, make sure that the content of the application is distributed to the SCCM DPs or Cloud DPs.
- Create new SCCM Application Deployment and select the targeted collections. Best practices of using collections are explained in my previous blog post here.
- Depending on the Client policy setting and schedule, the SCCM application deployment will happen on the client machines.
- The client machines shall download the SCCM application content from DP or peer cache or branch cache depending on the configuration.
- Or there are option to run the Apps from DP or stream the App-V application from DP.
- Do you find issues with SCCM Application deployments? You can refer to SCCM log files and troubleshooting tips mentioned in my previous post. The following SCCM deployment issues cab be troubleshooted.
- The users are not able to get the application?
- The SCCM application is not available in Software Center
- SCCM application download failed?
- SCCM application installing stuck while installing stage?
- SCCM application got stuck in downloading phase?