Let’s find out the way to remove built-in apps from Windows 10 using Intune. I know there are many PowerShell script to remove all the unwanted applications from Windows 10 devices. But, the following method is the easiest and simplest method to remove built-in apps.
Intune Sync Setup with MSfB
I have explained the process of syncing Microsoft Store for Business (MSfB) with Microsoft Intune. You can get more information from the “Microsoft Store for Business Automatically Create Windows Application using Intune | Volume Purchased Apps.”
All the steps mentioned in the above post should be completed before proceeding further with the following steps. After the successful sync between Microsoft store for business and Intune, the types of Windows 10 in the built-in application which you can see in the Intune portal is Microsoft Store for Business app.
List of Built-in Apps
Do you have a list of built-in applications? Some of them are mentioned below:
- Groove Music
- Main and Calendar
Add Built-in Application
To remove or uninstall these apps, you need to add these apps to Microsoft Store for Business (MSfB).
- Logon to https://businessstore.microsoft.com/.
- Search with the name of the application. For example “Music.” to find Groove Music application.
- Click on Groove Music application from the search results.
- Click Get the App button.
- Click the CLOSE button on the confirmation popup.
- Repeat the above 3 steps for all the built-in applications which you want to remove.
Sync MSfB with Microsoft Intune
- Logon to Intune portal endpoint.microsoft.com
- Navigate to Tenant Administration -> Connections & Tokens -> Microsoft Store for Business.
- Click on Sync button to start the Sync between Intune and Microsoft Store for Business..
Uninstall Microsoft Store for Business Application
- Click on All Apps.
- Click on built-in app. For example Groove Music (Online).
- Click on Properties.
- Click on EDIT under Assignment section.
NOTE! – Select the groups for which you want to uninstall the app. Apps with this assignment are uninstalled from managed devices in the selected groups if Intune has previously installed the application onto the device via an “Available for enrolled devices” or “Required” assignment on the same deployment.
- Below UNINSTALL, click on +Add Group
- Search for All Windows Devices Azure AD Group –
- How to build dynamic AAD Group https://howtomanagedevices.com/intune/2156/intune-azure-ad-dynamic-device-group/
- Select the dynamic Azure AD device group
- Click on SELECT button
- Click Review + Save
- Click on SAVE button
- Windows 10 Client shall have the policy refresh as per the cycle and after the latest policy sync – the standard is 8 hours – the built-in apps shall get removed.
- In the Intune portal, you can see on 3 Windows devices, the application groove got uninstalled| Removed.
Day 10 Free Intune Training 📌Sync WSfB App Automatically to Intune 📌Learn WSfB Sync 📌Overview -Ep 10 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maabXB8cgOI
- Roles and permissions in Microsoft Store for Business and Education – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store/roles-and-permissions-microsoft-store-for-business
- How to Deploy Windows Store Apps via Intune to Windows 10 Devices https://www.anoopcnair.com/deploy-windows-store-apps-via-intune-windows-10-devices/
- Windows Store for Business Automatically Create Windows Application using Intune | Volume Purchased Apps.