This post will show you how to show or hide the Chat button on your taskbar in Windows 11. Microsoft announced the new Windows chat experience during Windows 11 release, started rolling out Windows 11 chat feature to Insider Preview Build 22000.100. This includes a new Chat flyout right off the taskbar as well as an overall Teams desktop experience architected for optimized performance.
Microsoft Teams Chat on the Windows taskbar simplify this process with a convenient and personalized experience centered around you. You can remain connected to the people you care about with chats and video calls from the convenience of your Windows 11 PC, while they can participate from any device with Microsoft Teams: desktop, mobile, or even just a web browser.
Windows 11 Teams Chat Features, Here’s the highlights you’ll experience with Teams Chat in Windows 11 –
Friends and family at your fingertips When you want to reach out to someone, it’s as simple as clicking the Chat icon in the Taskbar (or Press Windows + C from the keyboard shortcut). Here, you’ll see your most recent individual and group conversations and be able to respond or start a new chat or call.
Notifications with inline replies When others contact you, you’ll receive beautiful, native notifications and even be able to respond directly inline to text chats. You can accept or decline calls directly from the notifications and decide whether you want to pick up as audio-only or with video, too. Notifications will respect the Windows 11 focus assist settings, putting you in control.
Automatically sync existing contacts If you’ve used Skype or Outlook for personal communications with your Microsoft Account in the past, you’ll have the option to sync those contacts to start using them from day one. You can also sync contacts from your mobile device by installing the Teams mobile app and turning on contact sync, further saving you time.
Group chat and meeting links You can easily invite others to a group chat or video call. Just copy the link and send it or share via email no matter if they have Teams installed. They can click the link it to join.
Related Posts👋- Let’s explore Windows 11 Chat Application Microsoft Teams How to Configure or Enable
Remove Chat Button from Taskbar
Let’s check the easiest way to remove chat button from Taskbar –
- Right click or press and hold on the Chat button on the taskbar.
- Click on Hide from taskbar.
Hide or Show Chat Button on Taskbar from Context Menu
To hide or show your Chat box, Follow the below steps –
- Right-click or long-press on an empty area on your taskbar to open Taskbar Settings directly from your Windows 11 Desktop.
- Select Taskbar Settings, that will directly jump you to Windows settings app.
Under Personalization, select Taskbar on the right hand side. If you’re accessing using Windows Settings, you can navigate to same section.
In the Taskbar Items list, By default, the Chat button is set to Turn On on the right side. To Turn off the Show Chat button toggle switch to remove the Chat button that appears on the taskbar.
- Once done, You can close Settings.
- If you would like to show or hide the Teams Chat icon in your taskbar, you can repeat the above steps.
Enable or Disable Chat Button on Taskbar for All Users using Registry
Let’s follow the steps below to remove Chat button via Registry –
- You can use the Search button in the taskbar to launch the registry editor in Windows 11.
Important – We recommend you create a backup before editing the registry.
Note – Since adding the registry value manually may lead an issue as well it will be a time taken process for system admin. You can also copy the below command and create a batch file to automate the settings.
- Open Notepad, Copy and paste the registry value below into the text editor.
To Disable Chat Button –
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Chat] "ChatIcon"=dword:00000003
To Enable Chat Button –
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Chat] "ChatIcon"=-
- In the File menu, Select Save As and click Browse to your preferred folder or location. In the File name box provide the appropriate name “FileName.reg” with .reg extension and Choose Save as type “All” from drop-down list. Click Save.
- The registry file will appear on your saved location. To start the execution, Double click or Right click and select Open option or press Enter on the saved .reg file content to merge into the local registry.
- A warning box with the following messages prompted, Click Yes to continue.
- Once Information in path of .reg file has been successfully entered into the registry below prompt will be appear. Click OK.
- Restart Windows Explorer or restart Windows 11 PC to apply the changes.
Results End-User Experience
Here you can see Chat button has been removed/hidden from Windows 11 taskbar.
- How to Change Screen Brightness in Windows 11
- New Features Windows Terminal in Windows 11 Find Rename Tab
- Add or Remove Windows 11 Widgets Button on Taskbar Easy Option
- How to Enable Hyper-V in Windows 11
- New Windows 11 Keyboard Shortcuts Update
- List of New Windows Tools in Windows 11