Let’s understand how to FIX Error code 0x80070003 Windows 10 Update failed to install. If any updates are available, Windows update failed to download and install automatically through Windows update. In this post, we will see several possible troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the issue.
You might have experienced that the Windows Update process stops during the downloading of the update and failed to install error code 0x80070003. This error usually occurs while attempting to perform Windows Update, when Windows update cannot be installed, stuck during the installation process, or when updates are installed but the process can not be completed. This could be due to missing Windows Update files, even though the updates appear to have been downloaded and extracted and the database or components are corrupted.
Solution – Fix Error Code 0x80070003 Windows Update Failed to Install
Let’s find out solution to fix Error Code 0x80070003 when we try to install patches on Windows 10.
- Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you run into problems when using Windows Update, start with the following steps, Run the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter can help resolve the problem.
- Select Start > Settings > Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter. Windows will start resolving problems that prevent you.
When the troubleshooter is finished running, restart your device and proceed to install Windows update.
2. Reset Windows Update components manually
If the Windows troubleshooter doesn’t help you to resolve the issue, Lets try to follow the below process –
- Open Command Prompt, Run as Administrator.
- To Stop the BITS, Windows Update Services, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services. Type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop msiserver
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders are most important in Windows update process. When you run Windows Update, the catroot2 folder stores the signatures of the Windows Update package and installation of the package. The SoftwareDistribution folder that stores temporary files during Windows update until they are completely downloaded.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Now, let’s restart the BITS, Windows Update Services, Cryptographic, MSI Installer services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
net start bits net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start msiserver
- Once completed all steps, close Command Prompt and then restart the computer.
- After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Update.
3. Temporary Disable Installed Third-Party Antivirus
It is possible that installed antivirus software is interfering with Windows Update and causing Windows Update error. To ensure that the installed third party antivirus software is not the source of the problem, you can try to temporarily disable these software and lets check to trigger Windows update.
Hopefully the above steps help you to FIX Error Code 0x80070003 issues with Windows 10 updates.
- Windows Update – additional resources
- How to Set File Explorer to Open This PC instead of Quick Access in Windows 10
- FIX This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 or 20H2 Issue | Upgrade on Hold
- How to Disable User Sign-in Animation in Windows 10 | First
- FIX Black or frozen screen in Skype for Business during Screen Share | SfB | Windows 10
- How to Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10
- Install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 10 | Quick Easy Way
- How to Unblock App Files in Windows 10
- SCCM Task Sequence Available Deployment Options in Distribution Points Tab | ConfigMgr
- How to Extract Specific Windows Index from Windows 10 Multiple Edition ISO
- How to Configure Collection Size Limits for Task Sequence Deployment Settings | Configuration Manager | SCCM
- How to Enable or Disable Remote Desktop Access in Windows 10
- How to Enable God Mode in Windows 10 | Easy Access Settings
- How to Capture Screenshots in Windows 10 | Tools