In this post you will learn how to extract specific windows index from Windows 10 multiple edition ISO. As Microsoft offering Windows 10 multiple editions ISO containing Windows 10 Education, Enterprise and other.
The Windows Imaging (WIM) having more size of 4GB. It does not allow creating a bootable USB stick with the FAT32 File system to boot UEFI System that has a maximum supported file size of 4GB. After extracting the image into a specific index, it can handle an image having more than the size of 4GB when installing a windows image from USB.
Mount ISO File
- Go to the location where the ISO file is saved, Double-click an ISO file to mount it or Right click an ISO file in file explorer. Select Mount option.
- You will notice that Windows 10 ISO will create a disc drive that you can use to access contents. Take note of the Drive Letter assigned to the ISO file (for example, drive letter G:)
Extract Index (Windows Version)
Let’s learn more details Extract Specific Windows Index from Windows 10 Multiple Edition ISO. To extract a specific image index from the WIM file, Follow the steps below
- Click Start, and type Command Prompt. Right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.
- Get list of the indexes from the Install.wim file by running the following command
Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:<path_to_install.wim>
- /Get-WimInfo – Display information about images in a WIM file.
- /WimFile – Specify location of original install.wim file.
After executing the above command the report that is generated includes list of available Windows 10 versions
|Index||The index value of the image in the WIM file.||3|
|Name||The Windows edition name of the image in the WIM file.||Windows 10 Enterprise|
|Description||The description of the image in the WIM file.||Windows 10 Enterprise|
|Size||The size of the image.||15,643,653,521 bytes|
Details for image : G:\sources\install.wim Index : 1 Name : Windows 10 Education Description : Windows 10 Education Size : 15,643,499,526 bytes Index : 2 Name : Windows 10 Education N Description : Windows 10 Education N Size : 14,878,972,660 bytes Index : 3 Name : Windows 10 Enterprise Description : Windows 10 Enterprise Size : 15,643,653,521 bytes Index : 4 Name : Windows 10 Enterprise N Description : Windows 10 Enterprise N Size : 14,878,878,937 bytes Index : 5 Name : Windows 10 Pro Description : Windows 10 Pro Size : 15,658,943,281 bytes Index : 6 Name : Windows 10 Pro N Description : Windows 10 Pro N Size : 14,891,886,248 bytes Index : 7 Name : Windows 10 Pro Education Description : Windows 10 Pro Education Size : 15,643,437,944 bytes Index : 8 Name : Windows 10 Pro Education N Description : Windows 10 Pro Education N Size : 14,878,910,178 bytes Index : 9 Name : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Description : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Size : 15,643,468,735 bytes Index : 10 Name : Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations Description : Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations Size : 14,878,941,419 bytes Extract Specific Windows Index from Windows 10 Multiple Edition ISO
- Extract the index (Windows Version) using the following command. For Example – Here we are extracting the Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, which Index number is 3.
Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"<path_to_image_file>" /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:"<path_to_image_file>"
- /Export-Image : Export a copy of the specified image to another file.
- /SourceImageFile : Specify location of original install.wim file.
- /DestinationImageFile : Specify path where you want to extract the new wim file.
- /SourceIndex : Specify index number of Windows 10 version that your want to extract.
Note – Create a folder where you want to extract the new wim File, Make sure to provide the naming convention to DestinationImageFile <WIM File> as Install.wim. Extract Specific Windows Index from Windows 10 Multiple Edition ISO.
- Please wait, Image exporting process can take time to complete. Once completed, you will be able to see the new created wim file under the specified destination folder.
- Copy the installation files from your local folder to the bootable USB drive.
Hopefully this was helpful to understand the solution to extract Specific Windows Index from Windows 10 Multiple Edition ISO
- Learn How to Manage Windows 10 Drivers and Firmware for Microsoft Surface
- How to Change Screen Brightness in Windows 10
- How to Set File Explorer to Open This PC instead of Quick Access in Windows 10
- FIX This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 or 20H2 Issue | Upgrade on Hold
- How to Disable User Sign-in Animation in Windows 10 | First
- FIX Black or frozen screen in Skype for Business during Screen Share | SfB | Windows 10
- How to Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10
- Install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 10 | Quick Easy Way
- How to Unblock App Files in Windows 10