In this post, we will learn about the different steps to install .Net Framework 3.5 in windows 10. It is required in some functional requirement to run an app also for images that will support more than one language, you must add .NET Framework 3.5 binaries before adding any language packs. Dot NET Framework 3.5 is not included by default in Windows 10.
Let’s follow the steps to enable the .NET Framework with two approaches.
- Online (Internet connectivity)
- Offline (Without Internet connectivity)
Install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows Features
- In Windows 10 device, Open Control Panel, and click on the Programs and Features. Click on the Turn Windows features on or off.
- Check box .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0), and click on OK. This option requires an Internet connection to install .NET Framework 3.5.
You must be a member of the local Administrators group to add or remove Windows features.
- Windows Features started searching and download required files for .NET Framework 3.5 online from Windows Update. If prompted click on Let Windows Update download the files for you.
- Once downloading required files completed, Windows Feature started Applying changes.
- It will prompt message after feature was successfully installed. Click Close.
Install the Dot NET Framework 3.5 using DISM
- Right click on the Windows ISO file in file explorer. Click on Mount.
- You will notice Windows 10 ISO will create a disc drive that you can use to access contents. Access to the <Driver>\sources\SxS folder that is not connected to the Internet. You can also copy sxs folder to another location.
Important – Make sure to use sources\sxs from the same corresponding Windows operating system version. Using a source path that doesn’t correspond to the same version of Windows won’t prevent a mismatched version of .NET Framework 3.5 from being installed. This can cause the system to be in an unsupported and unserviceable state. For Example – If you are enabling .NET in Windows 10 Version 2004, access to the \sources\SxS folder on Windows 10 version 2004 media.
- Open a command prompt with Run as administrator.
- Copy and paste the below command. You can also use command-line to deploy with ConfigMgr or SCCM Task Sequence.
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:<drive letter>:\sources\sxs
Use /All to enable all parent features of the specified feature.
Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting Windows Update/WSUS.
Use /Source to specify the location of the files that are needed to restore the feature.
- Please wait for few moments! When it has finished Enabling features, you can close the command prompt.
Install the Dot NET Framework 3.5 Features On Demand
Features on Demand (FODs) are Windows feature packages that can be added at any time. When a Windows 10 PC needs a new feature, it can request the feature package from Windows Update like the .NET Framework (.NetFx3).
Note – If you are using ConfigMgr or SCCM, WSUS for manage software update, Running DISM to install FODs (Features on Demand) package, you may experience error for example -“failure to download files, Error Code 0x800F0954”. In that case you can use group policy method to redirect your clients to get FODs from Windows Update.
- Capability name: NetFX3~~~~
- Sample package name: Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-OnDemand-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
- Install size: 301 MB
- Satellites: None
- Availability: All versions of Windows 10
- Open a command prompt with Run as administrator. Copy and paste the command below
Dism /Online /add-capability /CapabilityName:NetFX3~~~~
Validation – Enable .NET Framework 3.5
After completion successful installation, .NET Framework 3.5 feature is turned on in Turn Windows features on or off in Windows 10.
- Install the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 10
- ConfigMgr OSD Troubleshooting Known Issues Guide Part 2 | SCCM
- FIX This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 or 20H2 Issue | Upgrade on Hold
- How to Disable User Sign-in Animation in Windows 10 | First
- FIX Black or frozen screen in Skype for Business during Screen Share | SfB | Windows 10
- How to Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10