Let’s see the list of features released in ConfigMgr 2107 Technical Preview. Microsoft has released the fifth Technical Preview Version after announcing SCCM 2103 Production Version this year. In terms of features, ConfigMgr 2107 Technical Preview is a minor release that comes with two newly added features. That may be because as we are expecting a new SCCM Production Version this month.
The technical preview introduces new functionality that Microsoft is working on and features that aren’t yet included in the current branch of Configuration Manager. Features that were available in a previous version of the technical preview remain available in later versions.
Important ⚠️- The technical preview branch of Configuration Manager is not supported for use in a production environment. The technical preview is licensed for use only in a lab environment.
When you install a new technical preview site, use the latest baseline version of the technical preview branch. After installing a baseline version, use in-console updates to bring your installation up to date with the most recent preview version. Typically, new versions of the technical preview are available each month. Let’s check how to build Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager aka MECM Technical Preview LAB – How to Build Configuration Manager Technical Preview LAB Baseline version of SCCM.
Download Technical Preview
The latest version of Technical Preview baseline version 2106. You can download the technical preview 2106 baseline version from Microsoft Evaluation center Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (Technical Preview Branch – version 2106)
Upgrade Technical Preview Version
ConfigMgr Technical Preview builds installation is active for 90 days before it becomes inactive. You need to install the available new technical preview updates within 90 days before the technical preview build expires.
To install ConfigMgr 2107 Technical Preview update –
- In the Configuration Manager console, Navigate to Administration > Updates and Servicing.
- Right-click Configuration Manager Technical Preview 2107 and click Install Update Pack.
- On the General window, Select ignore any prerequisite check warnings and install this update regardless of missing requirements, and Click Next.
- In the Features tab, select the features you want to enable.
- Complete all the steps. You are ready to go.
ConfigMgr 2107 Technical Preview New Features
Let’s see what the improvement of ConfigMgr 2107 Technical Preview are –
Software updates information in Tenant attach
Starting in Configuration Manager technical preview, There’s a new Software updates page for tenant attached devices. This page displays the status of software updates on a device. You can review which updates are successfully installed, failed, and are assigned but not yet installed. Using the timestamp for the update status assists with troubleshooting.
The following actions are available on the Software update page for a tenant attached device –
- Search – You can search using either a full or partial string in all columns except Status time.
- Sort – Sort a column by using the arrows after the column name. The default sort order is by Status time.
- Refresh – Retrieves updated information for the device from the Configuration Manager environment.
- Export – Exports all of the available data for the device to a .csv file.
Publish query to Community hub from CMPivot
You can now publish a CMPivot query to the Community hub directly from the CMPivot window. Submitting your queries directly through CMPivot makes contributing to the Community hub easier.
According to Microsoft, You must follow the below prerequisites –
- Meet all of the CMPivot prerequisites and permissions.
- Enable Community hub – If needed, install the Microsoft Edge WebView2 extension from the Configuration Manager console notification.
- A GitHub account that’s joined to Community hub – You must accept the invitation sent in the email otherwise you won’t be able to contribute content.
Use CMPivot to publish a query to the Community hub
Here’s how you can access this feature in ConfigMgr 2107 Technical Preview –
- In Configuration Console, Go to the Assets and Compliance > Device Collections node. Select a target collection, target device, or group of devices then select Start CMPivot to launch the tool.
- Select the Community hub icon on the menu and Select Sign in, then sign into GitHub.
- Create a query, then select Run Query to verify it functions as expected.
- Optionally, select the folder icon to access your favorites list to use a query you’ve already created.
- Select the Publish link at top of CMPivot’s Community hub window when you’re ready to submit your query.
- Give your query a Name and Description, then select the Publish button to send your query to the Community hub.
- Once the contribution is complete, you can access your query anytime from the Me tab.
- To view the GitHub pull request (PR), go to https://github.com/Microsoft/configmgr-hub/pulls. You can also access the PR link from the Your hub page in the Community hub node. Pull request (PR) shouldn’t be submitted directly to the GitHub repository.
- Features in Configuration Manager technical preview version 2107
- ConfigMgr 2106 Technical Preview New Features | SCCM
- ConfigMgr 2105.2 Technical Preview New Features | SCCM