I know you have seen many steps by step videos and installation guides to update Configuration Manager current version. This guide is another one that shows how to upgrade from SCCM 1910 to 2002 version.
New Features of Configuration Manager (A.K.A SCCM) 2002 version is given in the following post https://www.anoopcnair.com/configmgr-2002-list-of-new-features-enhancements-memcm-sccm/
NOTE! – Well, I know it’s not SCCM. It’s called Microsoft Endpoint Manager Configuration Manager (MEMCM) or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM).
Prerequisites of 2002 Version
NOTE! – If you have SCCM DPs and PXE servers running on Windows server 2008 R2. You need to plan to upgrade it before the latest supported version before upgrading to the ConfigMgr 2002 version of the current branch. Server 2008 R2 DP and PXE are not supported anymore. More details – here.
- The following SCCM versions are supported for the upgrade to 2002.
- Install update 2002 at the top-level site of your hierarchy (CAS or Standalone Primary)
- SCCM version should have online Service Connection Point
- Evaluate Checklist
- Evaluate SQL Requirements for SCCM 2002 Upgrade – here
- Evaluate Windows Server OS Requirements for SCCM 2002 site server – here
- Evaluate Supported OS versions for clients and devices – here
- Evaluate Supported OS versions for ConfigMgr consoles – here
- Evaluate Recommended hardware – here
- Support for Windows features and networks – here
- Evaluate Support for virtualization environments – here
- Evaluate the Firewall Rules – More details here and here
NOTE! – To download the update when your service connection point is offline, use the service connection tool.
Upgrade Check List
The following are the high-level checklist provided by Microsoft. Let’s go through this list before starting the upgrade in a production environment.
- All sites run a supported version of Configuration Manager
- Review the status of your product licensing
- Review Microsoft .NET versions
- Review the version of the Windows ADK for Windows 10
- Review SQL Server Native Client version
- Review file and data replication between sites
- Database replication
- File-based replication
- Install all applicable critical Windows updates
- Disable database replicas for management points at primary sites
- Set SQL Server AlwaysOn availability groups to manual failover
- Disable site maintenance tasks at each site
- Temporarily stop any antivirus software
- Back up customized files
- Plan for client piloting
- Plan to use service windows
- Review supported extensions
- Run the setup prerequisite checker (I recommend to run prerequisite check 3-4 day before the production upgrade)
- Update sites
More detailed information about the ConfigMgr 2002 installation checklist is given below https://docs.microsoft.com/en
Download and Install 2002 version fo ConfigMgr
- As this 2002 version of SCCM is part of the opt-in (early update) ring, you need to opt-in to have this update available in the console.
- Opt-in using PowerShell command. Download and Run the PowerShell command.
- Launch ConfigMgr console & navigate through \Administration\ Overview \Updates and Servicing.
- Check 2002 fast or Opt-in version update of ConfigMgr is already available or not?
- If not, click on the “Check for Updates” button from the ribbon menu
- Click OK to continue
- Configuration Manager 2002 update is available and Downloading
SCCM 2002 Download Stuck
This stuck download issue is a common scenario in enterprise organizations and LAB environments. This issue is mostly because of proxy or some other internet-related issues.
There are a couple of ways to fix this kind of issue if it’s not related to proxy and internet. You can refer to the previous blog posts to solve Update Download stuck problems.
Log Files are Your Friend
- DMPDownloader.log for SCCM 1910 source file download issues
- ConfigMgrSetup.log for Redist Files Download Issue
- CMUpdate.log for all the upgrade related activities
- If the update displays as Downloading and doesn’t change, review the hman.log and dmpdownloader.log for errors.
- The dmpdownloader.log may indicate that the dmpdownloader process is waiting for an interval before checking for updates. To restart the download of the update’s redistribution files, restart the SMS_Executive service on the site server.
- Another common download issue occurs when proxy server settings prevent downloads from
- For more information about installing updates, see In-console updates and servicing.
- For more information about current branch versions, see Baseline and update versions.
- SCCM 2002 download is completed successfully
- 2002 update is Ready to Install
- Right Click on the Update “Configuration Manager 2002” Update
- Select PreRequisite Check
- Once the Prerequisite Check is completed successfully proceed to the next step
- Right Click on the Update “Configuration Manager 2002” Update
- Click on Install Update to start the SCCM 2002 installation
SCCM 2002 Update Prerequisite Check Stuck?
The SCCM upgrade prerequisite check can take many hours, depending on your hierarchy/infra. When you have CAS and many primary servers, the 2002 update source files will be copied to primary servers.
You can check the status of the prerequisite checks from the monitoring node. More details about SCCM prerequisite checks here.
Microsoft Documentation – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/servers/deploy/install/prerequisite-checker
NOTE! – Make sure you start the prerequisite checks 3-4 days before the production update/upgrade of SCCM infra.
Configuration Manager Update Wizard
Let’s continue with SCCM 2002 update wizard:
- Click on “Ignore any prerequisite check settings and install the update regardless of missing requirements” box
- Click on Next button
- Select the features you want to enable after the upgrades from Features Included in Update Pack page
- Click on Next to continue
- Client Update Settings page configuration
- Upgrade without validating (Direct Production Upgrade)
- Validate in pre-production collection (Test the client before the upgrade)
- Click NEXT button to continue
Client Update Settings Option
Client Update Settings is another important option in Configuration Manager Update Wizard for SCCM 1810 upgrade. SCCM Client update settings include an update for SCCM client. You can upgrade your clients immediately. Or validate this client in pre-production collection before you upgrade all your SCCM clients.
I would recommend validating the client version with pre-production collection devices before upgrading the SCCM 1810 client package to all your clients directly.
Upgrade without validating
If you select the SCCM client upgrade without validating option, this overwrites your current SCCM client package with the new SCCM client update. All new client installations and client upgrades use this new client update.
Validate in Pre-production collection
If you select the “Validate in Pre-production collection” option, then you will get an option to validate the new client update on members of pre-production collection while you keep your production client package intact. Later once you are confident with the new client package, you can overwrite the production package using Client Update Options in the Updates and Servicing node of the SCCM console.
NOTE! – More details about SCCM Client Upgrade options “SCCM Client Upgrade Promote Pre-Production Client to Production.”
- Click on “I accept these License Terms and Privacy Statement“
- Click on NEXT button to continue
- Click on Close to continue to the installation process of 2002
Once you complete the Configuration Manager update wizard, the SCCM 2002 upgrade process will kick start. And the updates and servicing node in the ConfigMgr console will show that the update is in installing state.
You can start monitoring ConfigMgr 2002 upgrade from this stage.
- You can click on a link “Show Status” from related objects.
- Show status will show you the details about the installation status in monitoring workspace.
I would recommend following the below screenshot to see the real-time updates of the SCCM upgrade. Let’s monitor the installation Monitoring workspace:
- Navigate to – \Monitoring\Overview\Updates and Servicing Status
Finish – SCCM 2002 Installation
The following sections have been successfully completed as part of the 2002 installation.
- Download – Completed
- Replication – Completed
- Prerequisite Check – Completed with some warnings
- Installation – Completed
- Post Installation – Completed
Console Upgrade to 2002 Version
The last step of the ConfigMgr 2002 installation is by upgrading the console of Primary servers & CAS server.
You need to make sure all your remote SCCM console installations are upgraded to the latest version. This is not very critical if your remote SCCM console is already running with the n-1 version (where n = 2002 in this scenario).
But, if your remote SCCM console is not n-1 then, you need to make sure your console is updated otherwise you won’t be able to connect to the SCCM console.
SCCM 2002 Version Numbers
Let’s see what are the Configuration Manager version numbers.
- Site Server Full Version Number – 5.00.8968.1000
- Site Server Version Number – 5.0.8968.1000
- Console Version Number – 5.2002.1083.1700
- Client Version Number – 5.00.8968.1008