Really need to setup SUP with default WSUS product selection (Default WSUS Product Selection)? The quick post to let you know the WSUS product list which is automatically selected underneath Windows and Products category for your ConfigMgr infrastructure.
I don’t think there is any cleanup done to remove the legacy products from the WSUS products list for many years. I could still see Server 2003 and Windows XP are part of the product list which are automatically selected by default.
Why do we need those? What you think? Let’s check out the default WSUS product selection (this is out of box experience).
At first look, you will feel there are NO products selected! You are Wrong! When you expand, you could see there are many “LEGACY” office products and Windows versions are already selected by default.
I don’t know how many of you still need the following products. And moreover, the latest OS version Windows 10 is not selected by default 🙂
- Office XP
- Office 2003
- Office 2007
- Windows XP
- Server 2003
My advice would be to remove all the default product selections and start from scratch.
If you are setting up a new ConfigMgr | WSUS, you just need Windows 10 and Server 2016 (optionally server 2012). What you say?
Let’s remove all the office versions except Office 365 Client during the initial setup SUP (Software Update Point) within your ConfigMgr|SCCM environment.
- Validate the default or out of box selection of products.
- Remove all the legacy products from the WSUS product list while configuring SCCM SUP.
- Understand the Microsoft products which you want to patch.
- Select only the required products (#3) from the WSUS product list.
- To configure classifications and products to synchronize
- Use Existing SCCM Config To Help To Reduce VPN Bandwidth | ConfigMgr
- Install New ConfigMgr Software Update Role Setup Guide|SUP|SCCM