At last, after long waiting and predictions, the new version of SCCM production application is available now. This release is so special for me because today is special day and that is called SysAdmin Day. This version is called System Center Configuration Manager Current Branch1906/ SCCM CB 1906. You will learn SCCM 1906 Upgrade processes with this video post.
Related Post – What is New in SCCM 1906 New Features a Walkthrough https://www.anoopcnair.com/what-is-new-in-sccm-1906-new-features/
NOTE! – Always review the latest checklist before starting the installation of 1906 update. Check out the details Checklist for installing SCCM 1906 update. After you update a site, review the Post-update checklist.
What is New in SCCM 1906 Production Version
Here are the list of new features of SCCM 1906 production version. I have already explained and showed most of these features in the above video.
- New Communication Security tab in SCCM Site Properties
- New SCCM Management insights rule for NTLM detection
- Multiple pilot groups for co-management workloads
- Deploy Application Groups to Collections
- Retry the install of pre-approved applications
- Install an application for a device
- Task sequence debugger
- Clear app content from client cache during task sequence
- Pre-cache driver packages and OS images
- Many Improvements to Software Center
- Configure the default maximum run time for software updates –
- Role based access for folders (SCCM Folder RBAC options)
- Administration service support for security nodes
- Site server maintenance task improvements
Where is SCCM 1906 Production Version?
The SCCM 1906 production version released is in FAST Ring (Opt-in update similar to PUBLIC Preview in Azure world). So, 1906 production version won’t be available within the SCCM console until any of the following condition:
- If you want to get into SCCM 1906 Fast ring NOW? Follow the step.
- You need to download & run the PowerShell script to the enabled early ring of SCCM 1906 production version
- Your SCCM CB version is SCCM 1806 or SCCM 1810, or SCCM 1902
- Your SCCM CB version has online Service Connection Point
Run PowerShell Script to Enable SCCM 1906 Early Ring (Fast Ring)
Yes, you need to download & run the PowerShell script from your SCCM site server with all the RBAC access to enable SCCM 1906 build the FAST ring.
NOTE! – This script adds your hierarchy or standalone primary to the early update ring for Update SCCM CB 1906. The script is signed and bundled inside a signed self-extracting executable. Please extract before following the instructions below.
To enable the SCCM 1906 production version available in your console follow the steps below.
- Launch an elevated command prompt
- Run PowerShell
- Run the EnableEarlyUpdateRing1906.ps1 script (bundled in the exe in the link above)
- EnableEarlyUpdateRing1906.ps1 where SiteServer refers to the CAS or standalone primary site server
- Force a check for the update.
- Go to \Administration\Overview\Cloud Services\Updates and Servicing and click “Check for Updates”.
- The new 1906 Update should now be available in the Configuration Manager Console.
Following the TEXT format of the PowerShell Script output which helps to enable SCCM 1906.
PS C:\Users\anoop\SCCM 1906> .\enableearlyupdatering1906.ps1 cmdlet enableearlyupdatering1906.ps1 at command pipeline position 1 Supply values for the following parameters: (Type !? for Help.) siteServer: SCCM_Prod.Intune.com -Message Determine the providers on the siteServer: 'SCCM_Prod.Intune.com' -Message SiteCode: 'PR3' -Message Provider Machine Name: 'SCCM_Prod.Intune.com' Path : \SCCM_Prod.Intune.com\root\SMS\site_PR3:SMS_SCI_Component.FileType=2,ItemName="SMS_ DMP_DOWNLOADER|SMS Dmp Connector",ItemType="Component",SiteCode="PR3" RelativePath : SMS_SCI_Component.FileType=2,ItemName="SMS_DMP_DOWNLOADER|SMS Dmp Connector",ItemType="Component",SiteCode="PR3" Server : SCCM_Prod.Intune.com NamespacePath : root\SMS\site_PR3 ClassName : SMS_SCI_Component IsClass : False IsInstance : True IsSingleton : False The command(s) completed successfully
Best time to Perform SCCM 1906 Upgrade?
Microsoft fully supports the SCCM 1906 fast ring or opt-in version in production environments. Hence officially you can upgrade your production environment to SCCM 1906 with opt-in version. However, I won’t directly jump into the production upgrade.
I want to test the 1906 version in the LAB environment and Staging environment before going into production upgrade. By the time I complete all these testing in staging, Microsoft will release the fast ring version of SCCM 1906.
How to Download SCCM 1906?
How do you get the SCCM 1906 production version today in your console? Here is the blog post from Microsoft to get the 1902 version on to your LAB, Development, or pre-production/staging environment.
Checkout Microsoft’s Announcement about the 1906 release. SCCM 1906 fast Ring is an Opt-in update option given to SCCM customers SCCM 1906 Slow Ring is GA, generally available for all applicable SCCM Infra.
Launch SCCM 1906 Upgrade
SCCM 1906 update package installation (upgrade) can be started from Updates and Servicing node in SCCM console.
Right click on the SCCM 1902 update (make sure the update content os already download and it’s Ready to Install) and select Install Update package.
In the Configuration Manager Update wizard, I have opted to Turn on the following Pre-Release features of SCCM 1906:
- Task Sequence Debugger
- Azure Active Directory user group discovery
- Application Groups
- Synchronize collection membership results to Azure Active Directory groups
Upgrade SCCM Secondary Servers to 1906
Yes, that is correct. SCCM secondary server updates needs to be completed manually.
- To start the update installation at a secondary site After a secondary site’s parent primary site updates
- Update the secondary site from within the SCCM console. To do so, you use the Upgrade Secondary Site Wizard.
Checklist/Best Practices SCCM 1906 Upgrade?
Microsoft has already provided a checklist of SCCM 1906 upgrade best practices in their documentation here.
I would recommend reading that documentation before proceeding with the upgrade. SCCM 1906 In-console update available only for SCCM 1806, SCCM 1810, and SCCM 1902 versions.
- Check All Windows Server, SQL components running on your SCCM site servers for the supportability of SCCM 1906 version (
A minimum version of SQL Server 2012 Native Client which includes support for TLS 1.2 must be installed. For more information, see the List of prerequisite checks. )
- All sites run a supported version of SCCM
- Review the version of the Windows ADK for Windows 10
- Review the site and hierarchy status for unresolved issues
- Review file and data replication between sites
- Install all applicable critical Windows updates
- Disable database replicas for management points at primary sites
- Set SQL Server AlwaysOn availability groups to manual failover
- Disable SCCM site maintenance tasks at each site
- Create a backup of the site database
- Temporarily stop any antivirus software on SCCM Servers
- Plan for SCCM client piloting
- Plan to use service windows
- Review supported extensions for SCCM 1906
- Run the SCCM 1906 setup prerequisite checker
- Update All SCCM site
- SQL availability group replicas must all have the same seeding mode
- Starting in SCCM 1906, when using SQL Server Always On, you need to configure availability group replicas with the same seeding mode.
- SQL availability group replicas must be healthy
- Starting in SCCM 1906, when using SQL Server Always On, availability group replicas are in a healthy state.
SCCM 1906 Download or Upgrade Stuck?
When you have an issue with SCCM 1906 production version update download and upgrade process, please check the monitoring workspace and understand what is happening. Also, you refer to the log files mentioned in each stage of SCCM console monitoring workspace.
Log Files are Your Friend
- DMPDownloader.log for SCCM 1906 source file download issues
- ConfigMgrSetup.log for Redist Files Download Issue
- CMUpdate.log for all the upgrade related activities
I have blogged about SCCM troubleshooting on update and servicing issue. I would recommend reading the following post to get more help on SCCM 1906 upgrade issues.
More troubleshooting help on SCCM 1906 Download stuck and upgrade issues here.
SCCM 1906 Site Server, Client, and Console Version Numbers?
Following table is the best place to know more about the SCCM 1906 console, site server, and client version numbers. After SCCM 1906 Production Upgrade, you would be able to see the following version details.
NOTE! – There will be some changes in the version numbers depending up upgrade as I’m using the early build to create this post.
|SCCM 1906 Site Version||SCCM 1906 Console Version||SCCM 1906 Client Version||Baseline||1906 In-console update available for?|
|5.00.8853.1000||5.1906.1096.1500|| 5.00.8853.1006||NO||Yes for SCCM 1806, or 1810 or 1902|
Post Installation Tasks for SCCM 1906 Upgrade
After the site updates, use the following checklist to complete common tasks and configurations. Confirm version and restart (if necessary). More Details available in the following link here.
SCCM 1906 Known Issues?
I’m not aware of any SCCM 1906 known issues apart from the couple of issues highlighted in the Microsoft Documentation.
- Setup prerequisite warning on domain functional level on Server 2019
- Azure AD user discovery and collection group sync don’t work after site expansion
However, I will try to keep an eye on SCCM 1906 known issues announcements from Microsoft and update here or in another blog.